Europe constitutes the priority field of international action for ASN, which thereby intends contributing to the construction of a Europe of nuclear safety, of safety of management of nuclear waste and spent fuel and of radiation protection.
Regular contacts with the European Commission (Directorate General for Energy in particular) serve to keep track of the progress and prospects of the regulatory work in several areas of nuclear safety and radiation protection: transposition of directives into national legislation, functioning of the Euratom Treaty committees, in particular.
ASN also participates in the work of the Euratom Treaty committees and groups of experts:
- Scientific and Technical Committee (STC);
- group of experts referred to in Article 31(basic radiation protection standards);
- group of experts referred to in Article 35 (verification and monitoring of radioactivity in the environment)
- group of experts referred to in Article 36 (information concerning the monitoring of radioactivity in the environment)
- group of experts referred to in Article 37 (notifications relative to radioactive effluent discharges).